Emergency preparedness and safety are the mission of our division. Our goal is to ensure that all students, staff and visitors are safe in our campuses and facilities.
Our prevention/mitigation measures include:
· Security vestibules at our elementary schools and our newer secondary campuses.
· Screening visitors through the Raptor system and requiring that visitors be identified.
· Training staff and students to be observant and to report unidentified individuals and any safety concerns.
· Conducting safety and security audits, as required by the Texas Education Code and as
needed to ensure a safe learning environment.
· A school safety and security committee that monitors compliance with local, state and federal mandates.
Our preparedness efforts include:
· Multi-hazard district and campus emergency operations plans.
· Drills in accordance with the standards of the Texas School Safety Center.
· Coordination with federal, state and local authorities and first responders.
· District and campus level emergency equipment and supplies.
· Mutual-aid, inter-local and other agreements to support comprehensive emergency preparedness.
Our response elements include:
· Implementation of Standard Response Protocol, e.g. Lockdown, Lockout, Evacuation, and Shelter-in-Place.
· Use of Incident Command System (ICS).
· Effective public information/notifications systems.
· Collaboration with local first responders.
Our recovery procedures include:
· Plans for the emotional and physical health of students and staff after an incident.
· After-action reviews and corrective action plans, as needed.
· Continuity of operation planning to continue school/district functions during and after an incident.